Ayahuasca in Cusco-Peru
Date: 12th May,2018City: Cusco
The Ayahuasca is an ancient, sacred plant used by the Incas, and even much time before; they had elaborated rituals to drink the brew which contains the plant, and specialized Shamans who conducted the ceremonies. The Ayahuasca in the Cusco region begins to appear on most historical records around 1.400 a.C., the time when there was a fierce war between two rival kingdoms, the Incas and the Chankas; the latter had defeated the Incas in a major way, taken over Cusco city and made their leaders flee to a mountain now called Huchuy Cusco. On such critical situation, a young noble warrior, Pachacutec, is said to have had an Ayahuasca session, in which he had a vision of fighting and utterly defeating the Chankas; he then organized an army and attacked them, being completely victorious. Pachacutec then became the first Inca emperor, commended the building of major temples and sites, including the Machu Picchu citadel, and organized all society; the tradition of drinking Ayahuasca continued to be complied by all the following Inca emperors and leaders.
Nowadays, we conduct Ayahuasca ceremonies and retreats the traditional Inca way; moreover, our Shamans are direct descendants of the Inca people, both from the Andes and from the Amazon. The Ayahuasca ceremonies are done only by Amazonian Shamans, who have grown up drinking the sacred plant and possess long experience with all the complexities of its dynamics. Our Ayahuasca sessions can be done at our Ceremony Center in Cusco City or at our Retreats Temple in the beautiful and quiet countryside just out of town, in the South Valley (Patapata).
The effects of the Ayahuasca brew are caused by the chemical compound called DMT (Dimethyltryptamine), a complex molecule which is carried by the bloodstream into the brain, and there produces visions, deep cognitive insights, access to repressed unconscious contents, strong catharses, and mystical experiences. The standard Ayahuasca experience has three stages:
- In the first, the participant will experience the emergence of visions about what are called the “shadow contents” in Jungian psychology, the elements or traits of human psyche which are instinctual, dark and opposed to ethical and religious rules; also, the participant will experience the appearance of repressed traumas, which will lead to profound cathartical events.
- In the second, the participant enters what is called “the angelic setting”, which is a state of complete radiance, bliss and purity, which may last for some three hours. In it, the self begins to be repaired in a major way, filled with positive, creative energies after the unconscious issues have been healed.
- In the third and final, participants usually experience unity and agreement with the entire cosmos and existence, and are filled with unconditional love for family, friends and humankind. Finally, most of them have connection with the divine, with God or Spirit Itself and also there is the ocurrence of paranormal phenomena like telepathy.
- Throughout the ceremonies, every participant is accompanied by a Master Shaman, an assistant with medical/psychological training and a translator; the sessions are done with entire comfort and safety in private rooms. Another great news is that the healing effects of the Ayahuasca are durable, long-lasting. The sacred brew does not have addictive or toxic effects, this is why many spiritual people become regular drinkers, making it a key element of their practice and evolution.
- Seekers from all over the world have drunk Ayahuasca with us, and they all agree that the sacred plant has given them powerful, valuable insights, feelings and most of all, profund psychospirotual healing. Currently, the Ayahuasca treatment is being recommended for psychological disorders like depression, anxiety and PTSD even when they have become resistant to psychotherapy, and also for all types of addictions like alcoholism and substance abuse, with great results, which are beginning to obtain much attention from the scientific community.